Friday 11 May 2007

Tears Of Love

I hated it for so long. But last night it happened, I fell in love with The Eiffel Tower. I had seen it from a distance a couple times already, but last night decided to take a late night metro ride to that part of Paris, since I hadn't seen it up close yet. The metro stop was a ways away from it, near the military school, so I came up to it from the side. I then walked towards it through the Champ de Mars park. Seeing it lit up between the trees took my breath away. I always thought it was ugly, stupid, and looked like scaffolding, but it really is beautiful, delicate scaffolding. As I walked towards it I noticed how big it really is. Really breathtaking. I walked along the Seine away from it, forgetting about it as I looked for the Invalides. Waiting to cross a quiet tree lined street I saw the tower again, then it started the light show. Little white sparking lights, like tons of tiny flash bulbs. I started to cry. I haven't cried in a long time. It just really hit home where I was and where I had come from these past few months. I realized this is where I could be and what I could do if I was determined, happy, and healthy. I am now excited about the world, and hopeful about my place in it. I'm in Paris.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

breakthrough!!!! I cried when I read this. So happy for you!
Love
MUM

Anonymous said...

nice to hear .PARIS does have magic in the air . happy your happy love dad

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're doing well and having a great time in Paris. I'm stuck in the OTHER Paris right now :(
Love, Teri